People with busy lives juggling their work and other responsibilities often find it challenging to take time for house chores such as getting groceries. When a person goes to the market to buy groceries and forgets something to buy, it gets frustrating for them to go out again and get that. Several platforms offer online grocery services to make groceries accessible.
In this blog, we will discuss one such retail company known as ”Instacart.” Find out everything about this business, including how it works, how much it pays, and much more. So, let’s get to it!
What is Instacart?
Instacart is an American delivery company based in San Fransisco. It offers an online delivery service, delivering groceries from nearby grocery shops, wine stores, convenience stores, pet stores, and warehouses. This company operates in America and Canada and also provides pickup services. They have a website and a mobile app. You can sign up for the free account or get membership for the paid version (Instacart+). The cost of the items will vary depending on the retailer, your order size, and the type of membership you have.
It is the largest online marketplace in North America, with 80,000 stores, from local grocers to chain stores, 1 billion products to shopping across the catalog, and millions of orders delivered and picked up yearly. Instacart serves more than 14,000 cities across the United States and Canada.
How Does Instacart Work?
Instacart lets you shop from nearby stores through their website or app. Customers place orders on their website/app, which are then delivered to their doorsteps by a ”personal shopper” who is an Instacart employee. This personal shopper goes to the stores, collects everything on the list you provided, and delivers the package to you on the same day. The deliveries are quick and take around 30 minutes. You can choose grocery stores by clicking on the convenience icon at the top of the website or the app. It will display all the nearby pharmacies, grocery stores, pet stores, and other convenience stores for you to choose from.
How Much Does Instacart Pay?
The average Instacart pay is approximately $34,648 and $78,238 annually for personal shoppers and delivery drivers, respectively. The average hourly pay for Instacart shoppers ranges from roughly $8.00 for independent contractors to $16.49 per hour for store shoppers.
When Does Instacart Pay?
Instacart pays its shoppers weekly through an electronic payment via direct deposit. This mode of payment has grown popular as it eliminates the hassle of paperwork. Instacart payments are processed once weekly on every Wednesday. The payments are not automatically transferred into your accounts. Shoppers must share their account information and set a deposit schedule on the app. However, there are no fees for direct deposit, and you can conveniently link your debit card to the account and take cash out anytime you want.
Another payment method is through Instacart Instant Pay, which allows you to get paid instantly. You will never have to wait for the payday and will get the money at the end of your shift. Instant cash out feature is available with Instacart Instant Pay, where you have to enter the amount you want to cash out.
How to Work For Instacart?
You can work for Instacart by being an Instacart shopper who buys groceries from different stores the company has partnered with and delivers those groceries to the customers. To work for Instacart, you need to fulfill the following requirements:
- You must be 18 years old or 21 years old if you are delivering alcohol.
- You need to be able to lift 30+ pounds weight.
- You must have a smartphone.
- You need to pass a background check to be an Instacart shopper.
- You should have a bank account in which your money can be transferred.
- You should have a valid driver’s license and access to a car to use for deliveries.
- You need insulated bags or hard coolers to keep food cold or warm.
How to Sign Up for Instacart?
To get started as an Instacart shopper, follow this simple process:
- First, download the Shopper App and create an account.
- Provide basic information, such as name and location, and permit the company to check the background.
- For in-store shoppers, there is an in-person orientation. You can choose a session for the orientation on the app.
- Then, you need to complete the paperwork, including the contractor agreement, offer letter, or tax form.
- Get your Instacart payment card registered. The company provides a preloaded payment card that is used for the customer’s orders.
How Much Does Instacart Cost?
Instacart has different delivery, service, and pickup fees. New customers get free delivery promotions. For the same-day delivery, the fees usually start at $3.99 for orders over $35. Delivery fees vary for one-hour deliveries, club store deliveries, and deliveries under $35. The pickup fees are equivalent to the delivery fees. On the other hand, service fees vary depending on several factors, including location and the number and types of items in your cart. Delivering alcohol has some additional service charges.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Instacart
- Convenient for those who have little kids and cannot get out of the house much.
- Offers a thorough online selection close to what you will find in-store.
- Allows to order from stores beyond supermarkets.
- Gives access to Costco even without a membership.
- Friendly personal shoppers who are easy to communicate with and happily solve any issues or substitutions.
- Provides an easy online ordering experience.
- Store sales, discounts, and coupons are not applicable.
- Prices may vary from the actual in-store prices. Why some items cost more than others is often unclear.
- You can’t be picky about the produce available.
Instacart is an online grocery delivery and pickup service based in San Francisco. It operates in Canada and the United States. They allow deliveries from nearby grocery stores, wine shops, pharmacies, and other convenience stores. Anyone can earn from Instacart by being a shopper at this retail company. The average Instacart pay is approximately $34,648 and $78,238 annually for personal shoppers and delivery drivers, respectively. Instacart is a great online platform for those who struggle to get groceries from the market.
Lisa is a passionate travelers. She spends 3 months every year visiting different places worldwide. She has visited almost every famous place in the world. She herself is an affiliate blogger