A country is run on transportation. Transportation is a major part of any country or place as well as a huge part of a successful economy. Efficient transportation can increase the efficiency of a country and can make the logistics system better.
There are two types of transportations; one is public transport and the other is logistical transport. Public transport also encompasses private transportation and it means the vehicles of means of commute which take people from one place to another.
On the other hand, logistical transport means vehicles that carry things and stuff around from place to place. Because transportation is a very important thing and because it surrounds us; we must know about different modes of transportations along with their advantages and disadvantages.
List of different modes of transportations with pros and cons
Road or land transportation is the identifiable way of getting from one place or another. You can travel on a road with any vehicle or animal be it a car, horse, bike camel, or truck. This way humans and things can commute through the road and it is considered the safest way to travel.
Advantage of road transportation
- This transportation is nature friendly.
- By road transport, minor and remote areas can also be facilitated and explored.
- In road transport, you have a lot of vehicle options like cars, trucks, busses, bikes, rickshaws, etc.
- It requires a low capital investment rate.
- It is ideal for shorter journeys.
Disadvantages of road transportation
- A long road journey can be tiring.
- It is not economical enough to travel for longer distances.
- Slow as compared to air and rail transportation.
- It is time-consuming.
The railway is also a land transport but has a separate road for its cars. No ordinary car can use that road. It is an ideal way to transport goods from one city to another (within a country).
It is also ideal for passengers because it is not tiring and safer than road transportation. This means of transportation is also very fast and economical. Railway transportation can help the government of a country to provide administrative facilities to all the citizens.
Advantages of Railway transportation
- It is economical for longer distances because it can cover more land as it is fast.
- It can transport a huge amount of goods at affordable prices.
- It provides a comfortable ride to the passengers.
- It is one of the most dependable means of transport.
- It provides employment opportunities.
Disadvantages of railway transportation
- It requires a huge capital investment.
- It is not suitable for the mountains and hills.
- Mostly it is not nature friendly because of all the smoke and pollution.
The vehicles that take people and goods from one place to another in the sea refer to water transportation. There are many pots around the world on which the boats and ships dock to load and unload goods as well as people.
The most important thing for which water transport is used is for cargo because ships can carry immense weights around for transportation. Water transport is a crucial element in the economy of a country; especially imports and exports.
Advantages of water transportation
- It is the cheapest and easiest way to commute.
- It promotes imports and exports.
- A huge amount of heavy goods can be transferred easily.
- It is less risky than any other transportation.
Disadvantages of water transportation
- The commute is very slow.
- The performance of this transportation highly depends on the seasons.
- Huge sips can’t get everywhere; it is limited.
It is fast and the most modern way of transportation but it is also the most expensive way. It is ideal for the transportation of goods that have high value but are not very heavy. The time and cost of air operations are very high compared to other transportations.
Advantages of air transportation
- Fastest mode of transportation.
- Suitable for emergencies.
- Very useful in natural calamities like floods and earthquakes.
- An essential part of national security and defenses.
Disadvantages of air transportation
- A huge capital investment rate is needed.
- Working is affected by weather conditions.
- It can be highly risky if even a small thing goes wrong in the engine or with the pilot.
- Not suitable for heavy goods transportation.
Misbah Arif is a creative writer and a blogger for the past 4 years. She has a Master’s degree in English Literature, and in her spare time, she also loves to cook, bake, paint and read books.