A project management professional is a certified candidate who leads and manages the projects of an organization. There is a high demand for skilled and certified PMPs throughout the world. They are recruited by companies to look after complex projects by using their strategic vision and for achieving the company’s goals. They use their skills and knowledge to ensure effective results by managing other tasks.
Project management professionals have to earn the PMP® certification from the Project Management Institute. The certificate helps an individual to stand out from the rest and ensures that he/she possesses the required skills and training for handling different projects. The steps for becoming a certified PMP include proper education and work experience. The candidate also has to clear a written exam conducted by the PMI® to earn the certificate. People who wish to get the PMP® certification can join a Project Management Professional training course to get proper knowledge and information related to the PMP® exam.
What is Project Management?
Project management is a reliable field for small and larger organizations. The field includes initiation, planning, execution, monitoring, controlling, and finishing the project on time. They can work in different industries such as finance, health, etc. A PMP has to manage different tasks. Project management includes implementing the right strategies and ensuring to complete the project on time. Project management also involves the completion of the project but it also includes using the approved budget for finishing the project. A project is not considered to be successful if the given project is not finished within the approved budget. A PMP® professional learns the skills and right tools that help complete the project on time and within the given budget.
Project management involves making a team communicate with each other to work on a project. The project manager has to ensure that everyone in the team is given a specific task for successful project completion. A project manager has to bring all team members close to each other for completing the project successfully and on time.
Responsibilities of a PMP
A PMP® professional has numerous responsibilities when working for an organization. The responsibilities of a PMP include the following:
- Maintaining high-quality standards of professional integrity and conduct
- Has to comply with the essential rules and regulations
- Has to guide the team to work professionally by using the right strategies
- Seek continuous guidance from others for enhancing professional skills
- Has to follow ethics, standards, and legal policies
- Has to protect the interest of stakeholders in the given project
- Has to manage and maintain confidential information
- Behaving accurately and in a truthful manner
- Maintaining professional sensitivity when dealing with the team and stakeholders
- Has to ensure that company’s policies are followed and do not violate the copyrights
- Ensuring to work within the budget for a given project
Prerequisites to Get PMP® Certification
A person who wants to get the PMP® certification must have the following prerequisites:
- He/she must have a bachelor’s degree of four years
- A person must have a working experience of 3 years in the project management
- A person must have professional experience working on different projects as a project manager for 4500 hours.
- People who do not have a bachelor’s degree of four years should have the following prerequisites:
- They should have an experience of five years in managing projects
- They should have a working experience as a project manager for a minimum of 7500 hours
- They must have completed a project management professional training course of 35 Contact Hours.
How to Get the PMP® Certification?
A person has to follow some steps to get the PMP® certification. The steps include the following:
- First of all, you must check if you are eligible to get the PMP certificate or not. If you find yourself eligible then you must start filling out the application online.
- You can visit the official website for creating a professional profile. You have to fill in the personal details to create a profile.
- Next, you must join a project management professional training course to finish 35 hours.
- You can get a discount if you become a member of PMI® for the exam. You can also check online resources and publications to prepare for the exam.
- You must fill out the application within 3 months and give the exam. You will get a confirmation of application acceptance in 4-5 days. You have to pay the fee after getting the confirmation.
- Select the exam date as per your preparation and needs. Select the nearest center to appear for the exam. You must keep a gap of 3-4 months in the exam date from your start preparing for it.
How to Prepare for the PMP® Exam?
People who want to prepare for the PMP exam must make & follow an effective study plan. There are 200 multiple-choice questions (MCQs) asked in the exam. Questions are based on different topics such as interpretative questions, formula-based questions, situation-based questions, etc.
- First of all, you must know the syllabus for the exam. PMBOK® book is the best guide to understanding the syllabus and important topics for the PMP® exam. You can get complete information about the exam from the guide. You must thoroughly read the different topics given in the PMBOK® book. Mark the important terms and definitions so that you can revise them during the exam.
- You can also consult an extra book to understand the syllabus and different types of questions. Extra study material can help you in preparing properly for the exam. The basic theory of working on the project is entering the inputs, using the right tools and techniques, and getting the outputs.
- You can also join an online project management professional training course to prepare for the exam. You must select the course that best suits your needs. You have to score 62 percent for clearing the exam. Therefore, you have to study efficiently to get the required percentage of marks.
- You must attend the workshops and seminars to learn more about the PMP® syllabus and exam. You can meet a wide range of people having extensive knowledge of the exam in seminars and contests who can help you to understand the type of questions asked in the exam.
- You can also check the sample papers available on the internet to understand the pattern of the exam. Sample papers are designed similarly to the real PMP exam so that you can get an idea about the format of the exam.
- You can also join forums to connect with a network of similar people preparing for the PMP® exam. This will help you to talk to experienced people who can tell you more about the exam pattern.
In conclusion, PMP is a well-known and recognized certificate throughout the world. The certificate ensures that a person is capable of handling projects by using the right tools. A PMP® certificate helps a person to get recognition and he/she can stand out from the other candidates. A project manager plays an important role in an organization as he/she is responsible for handling the project from beginning to end. A project manager has to manage the team and ensure that the project is completed on time and high quality is maintained to fulfill the demands of the stakeholders.
What is PMP?
PMP is a Project Management Professional certificate suitable for individuals who want to make a career in the field of project management.
What is the Benefit of Getting a PMP Certificate?
The most important benefit of getting a PMP certificate is that it is known throughout the world and can help in getting a job globally. You can earn a good salary and will experience quick growth in your field.
What does a Project Manager do?
A project manager is responsible for handling projects in an organization and ensuring that the given project gets finished on time and with the maximum possible efficiency.
What is the Qualification Required to Give the PMP® Exam?
A person must possess a degree of four years to appear for the PMP® exam. If a person does not have a degree, he/she must have a high school diploma and a working experience.
How can I Prepare for the PMP® Exam?
You can prepare for the exam by joining a project management professional training course online. You can get complete information about the pattern of the exam.
How do I Register for the PMP® Exam?
You can visit the official website of PMP to register for the exam. You have to create a profile and then apply for the exam.
What are the Job Prospects for a PMP®-Certified Individual?
A PMP®-certified individual can work in different fields. He/she can work in the health industry, finance, industrial, banking, and many other fields.
Jason is the Marketing Manager at a local advertising company in Australia. He moved to Australia 10 years back for his passion for advertising. Jason recently joined BFA as a volunteer writer and contributes by sharing his valuable experience and knowledge.