The term “Mental” is related to the state of the human mind and its psychology. The sense of a person works in such a way that it generates different impulses for different kinds of tasks, and our mind works well with the help of intellectual functions performed by our brain. If the human mind is kept away from psychological disorders, the aging process delays.
Psychological disorders include depression, stress, loss of appetite, OCD, and anxiety issues. These disorders have led students to give up easily and go broke. The major reason behind that is our education system.
Since a student is expected to stay busy with school/ college or university, from the dawn till dusk. This leads a student to develop anxiety and depression in his/ her personality and behavior.
Apart from the education system, being a little hindrance in the way of a student’s academic life, there is another major factor. That factor is societal norms and curricula.
Every society holds two types of factors: Encouragement as well as discouragement. These factors exert pressure on students such as social, academic load, stress and financial burdens. These effects a student life in a very bad manner. Students feel overwhelmingly anxious.
In accordance with the survey made “National College Health Assessment”, it is reported that 30% of the students were hopeless and heartless and had lost will-power whereas 20% had developed symptoms of being depressed and anxious. This makes them stay dull and tired, which affects their academic performance.
Depression affects cognitive functioning of the brain. This is the mental health problem, and it triggers the thinking problems of the students. It can build memory problems in student. Depression contributes to learning disabilities and leads to low performance in the school.
Those students who suffer from disorders like depression and anxiety have poor performance due to lack of participating in class, no relationship with peers, class fellows and teachers, mental disorders really influence academic performance.
Mental Barriers cause poor performance in the overall routine of a student. As Personality Grooming is a key factor in achieving success. But these mental barriers cause a full stop for Personality Grooming in student life.
The bad academic performance in the encouraging factor for underachievement. A student’s unpredictable performance is the major sign that indicates towards developing depression and anxiety.
For instance, a student does one task in an incredible way, but cannot do another task; this is a sign of anxiety and depression. When, for the long-term, these mental orders are not addressed or treated on time, they can create many long term side effects on child’s mind. It can cause them to forget things easily and make them not being able to socialize and interact.
Responsibilities of the Elders
Mental disorders have physical side effects too like fatigue, nausea and illness. A college is a stressful place for many teens, so it is very important for parents, friends, faculty, and counselors to get involved if they suspect a student has depression. In order to solve the issues that pose a hindrance in the way of student’s education lives, there are many solutions.
- The academic institutes must introduce services, i.e. psychiatric and counseling, so that students may not struggle.
- Students activities must be kept in check since the adolescent stages of his/ her life.
- More specifically, the students must be taken care of during their puberty stages
- The academic institutions, media, and counseling services should work together to sort out this problem.
- Students must be made feel free to expose themselves in front of their teachers, parents, and counselors.
Remedies of Mental Barriers of Students
There are seven remedies outlined below that can be used to overcome the mental barrier that acts as an obstacle in students’ academic life:
- Psychotherapy engagement rather than letting students coping alone
- Medication is better than suffering, and it really helps one out to feel more relaxed, happy and stress-free
- Healthy workouts and exercises for mindfulness
- Contemplating in nature: this factor is revealed by the philosophical model that “spending time in nature and connecting with it reduces depression and relaxes one’s mind
- Putting up with positive vibes and setting better social connections
- Improvement of Nutrition and having a balanced diet, as there is saying you are what you eat so one should always eat well to stay healthy and relaxed
- Avoiding alcohol consumption and usage of drugs
- The setting of healthy boundaries recognizes self-worth and achieve settled goals. These can work out the mental barriers to the students and their academic lives.
Teaching Assistant at eRozgaar Training Program Pakistan. A Proud Graduate Engineer working as a Content Writer in Freelance Marketplace.