Government jobs have always been the dream career for the Indian citizen. A decent salary, allowances of all sorts such as medical expenses, travel expenses, very high job security are the major attractions of a government job. Though things have changed a bit recently, with the younger generation showing least interest in it, there is still a large crowd aspiring to get a public sector job.
The shortcomings and low job satisfaction in the private sector are one of the main reasons for this. Private sector jobs are far less secure than in the public sector. You are always at a very high risk of getting yourself fired.
You may also have to settle for lesser pay at times while working overtime under high pressure. PSC exams such as TNPSC (Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission) are conducted by the state governments every year for selection to the numerous vacancies in the public sector.
What is the Objective of the PSC Exam?
PSC is the second exam after UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) which provides a gateway to recruit into administration services. While UPSC is a national level examination through which the recruitment for staff into various of the central government is done, the PSC is a state level examination for recruitment of staff into various state government roles.
Each state government may have different criteria to deem a candidate eligible or ineligible. For example, states such as Telangana is more likely to appoint only native candidates during the process of TSPSC (Telangana State Public Service Commission).
Andhra Pradesh is another example of this practice. This means that the age-old practice of permitting recruitment of non-natives may soon be taken away in these states. Some states such as Kerala and Tamil Nadu allow non-natives to apply for their own respective PSCs. But there is a mandatory criterion that the applicant should know the local language which in this case is Malayalam and Tamil respectively.
The state of Tamil Nadu requires the candidate to have studied Tamil as a language subject during schooling or college. Otherwise, they are to take a language test in order to be eligible for TNPSC.
The Benefits of a Government Job
- On-time Salary: In a public sector job you are guaranteed to receive your salary on time and it does not matter whether the country is in great economic depression or not. For the private sector, the case is different. Private employees are in so much risk that when the company is in loss there may be no salary and they may even lose their jobs.
- Pension: A government job provides pension until death. This provides complete insurance to your life. No private job gives you such an advantage and you have to save money while you are working for future and old age expenses.
- No stress: The workload in a government job is almost negligible. This means that there is little to no stress on the employee. But the same cannot be said about a private-sector job where you have to work more than 8 hours and even go overtime. This is one of the major reasons why people are still looking into the public sector and making a career through TSPSC etc.
- Housing Facility: If you are working in the public sector, then there is absolutely no tension regarding rent/mortgage. You will be provided with housing facilities such as government quarters without the need for any rent.
- Free health care Facilities: In today’s time medical and health care has become highly expensive. If you are working for the government, then all the medical expenses of you and your family are covered. Even big operations/surgeries, which could cost huge sums, would be done free of cost for a government employee.
- Allowances: A job in the public sector means all your extra expenses are covered. Allowances such as dearness allowance (DA), traveling allowance (TA) among others are provided to cover your expenditures. Moreover, you can travel anywhere in the country with a concession.
- Sense of Social Security: Compared to other people who work for private companies your life is much secure in the public sector. You will get an on-time salary, lifelong pension, full medical coverage, and other extra allowances. This gives a great sense of social security and tension free life.
Its Rahul Shakya, I am digital marketing executive and blogger. Im working in reputed digital marketing firm.