Stress-related to work and workplaces have been a growing problem for a few years. Work-related stress profoundly affects the employees of the workplace. However, it doesn’t only affect their well-being and health; instead, they also affect their productivity and output.
The stress at work happens when the workload of a person exceeds his capacity to cope with that workload. There comes a time when the brain starts giving in to the work pressure, and that creates the deadly case of stress.
Many different things like a person can cause Work-stress might feel pressurized when he is asked to pull overtime for a whole month. It is possible that the employees of a particular company who suffer from work stress might be working more than they should and not getting enough rest to balance the situation.
Another reason can be the co-workers, or tyrannical bosses or maybe constant threats to the job security of a person.
However, one thing is essential while talking about work stress is that not every employee reacts to one situation in the same way. The overtime rule might stress an employee, but another might take it as a challenge. These different reactions depend on a person’s psychology, their general health, their temperament, and their coping abilities.
Apart from these causes of stress at work, there are many other causes which we will discuss below.
20 Different causes of stress at work
- A lot of heavy workloads,
- Constant changes in the company regarding management or rules,
- Longer work hours,
- A constant fear of losing the job,
- Close and tight deadlines,
- Tedious and boring work,
- Frequent changes in duties and work,
- Being unskilled for a particular job,
- Mockery from superiors,
- Poor work environment,
- Over supervision/ being monitored continuously,
- Lack of office resources and equipment,
- Less to none opportunities to grow individually,
- High discrimination,
- Racism and harassment,
- A bad relationship with co-workers and bosses,
- Office crisis,
- Deaths, hold up or robbery at the workplace,
- Lack of Self-sufficiency, and
- Lack of support from the superior workers.
All these issues and problems are the fundamental and foremost reasons. These issues should be avoided or solved so that the employees could work in peace at the office and give their 100% to their jobs.
5 ways of prevention of stress at the workplace which can be useful for the company
If the head of the office, bosses, all the employees, and other workers work together, they can prevent the stress which happens at the workplace. Here are few of the things which will occur when the stress rate goes down at a workplace;
- The people who suffered from stress will have better mental and physical health.
- The employees will have less injuries and illnesses due to an improved environment, which will lead to less time waste and more work potential and productivity.
- There will be fewer absences and sick leaves due to better health.
- The job satisfaction will go overboard and will be great.
- The cost used on a stressed employee will be saved.
It is important for the employers as well as for the employees that they recognize the stress, which is present in the workplace. The company should take action to eliminate such issues and instances which lead their employees towards such a dangerous mental illness.
The company as a whole should ensure that all their employees are satisfied with the work environment, and everyone is trained for the job they are hired for.
Being under stress for too long can severely damage a person’s personality and can destroy that person from inside. The employees of a company aren’t just employees or working machines which won’t deteriorate if not provided with a proper work environment.
The employees are the greatest assets of a company, and they should be treated with love and respect and appreciation, they should have a voice and enough freedom to be able to speak up for what is bothering them and putting them under stress.