FCL(Full Container Load) containers are used for a type of shipment where the entire container is used by one single importer/exporter for shipping his cargo. Although a logistics company helps a person in calculating how many shipments he can fit in his container, it is important for the exporter as well to understand how these calculations are done so that he can plan his shipping more efficiently.
The number of shipments that can be shipped in one FCL container depends upon the capacity of the container and CBM (Cubic Meter) of each cargo. Freight charges also vary upon the size and volume of your cargo.
The more you understand these calculations, the better you can plan your shipment. Click here to know more about FCL shipments and plan your shipping with ease.
CBM of cargo is used to determine how many shipments will fit in an FCL container.
How is CBM calculated?
CBM stands for cubic meter which is defined as the freight volume of a cargo/shipment. The goods are packed in cubicle cartons which is why CBM is used as the measuring unit in freights. It is important in calculating how many shipments can be fitted in one container depending upon the container capacity.
CBM is generally calculated using a very simple – (Length*Width*Height). You can calculate CBM in a few simple steps, they are:
- Note down the dimensions- length, width and height of your cargo/shipping cartoon.
- Convert the measurements into metres(m). If the measurement is taken in centimetres, divide by 100. For example, if the length is 2500 cms it will equal to 25 metres. Similarly, if the length is taken in inches, multiply by 0.305. For example, if the length is 250 inches, it will equal to 76.25 metres.
- In this way, convert measurements of all the three dimensions into metres. Then apply the formula and get the value of CBM.
- For instance, if the measurements of the three dimensions are given as, length = 75m, width = 35m and height = 25m then CBM will equal to 65,625m.
In this way, the CBM of cargo can be calculated. The calculation is simple and can be done in a few minutes.
How many shipment units can fit in an FCL container?
The cargo containing capacity of an FCL container depends upon the type of FCL container that you choose. There are 3 most popular types of FCL containers that are used by the shippers, they are:
- 20 Feets FCL containers: The dimension of this container is 20ft*8ft*(8ft 6 inch)
- 40 Feets FCL containers: The dimensions of this equals to 40ft*8ft*(8ft 6 inch)
- 40 Feets HC(High Cube) containers: The dimensions of this equals to 40ft*8ft*(9ft 6 inch)
The knowledge of the loading capacity of a container is important so as to make an estimation of the amount of cargo that can be fitted in the container. When it comes to calculating the number of shipments that can be shipped in an FCL container, one needs to understand that it is practically not possible to use every inch of available space of a container.
Usually, as per the human tendency, a person expects to fill every corner of a container to make the optimum use of it as he is paying the price to own it. However, a container’s actual usable capacity is around 80-85% of its maximum capacity value.
Therefore, the exact number of shipments that one can fit in an FCL container depends upon the size of the cargo. The usable space may also vary if the cartoons are not equal in size and shape. Given that, one can make an estimation of how many shipments can be fit by considering the following data:
- A 20ft FCL container’s usable capacity is 24-28 CBM and the maximum is 33 CBM.
- A 40ft FCL container’s usable capacity is 56-58 CBM and the maximum is 66 CBM.
- A 40ft High Cube FCL container’s capacity is 62-28 CBM whereas the maximum is 72 CBM.
Knowing the capacity of a container and the CBM values of your shipments are very important. An FCL container is entirely for you to utilise and when you know the maths related to its loading, you can make the optimum utilisation of the container as well as the money that you pay for it.
FCL containers offer a lot of advantages at reasonable freight charges and it is up to you how you make the most of it.
Your shipments are much safer in FCL containers as you are in charge of it and you have the authority to decide the types of goods you will put in it. You should take help from your logistics company and make the entire shipment cost-effective.
Having the proper knowledge and expert assistance will help you to ship your cargo in a perfect way and make optimum use of the capacity of the containers.