A lot of students these days are opting for management sciences as a career, that’s because it’s becoming a very broad field with various job opportunities. By studying management, you’re able to help individuals, groups, institutions, and companies to achieve their full potentials. If you think you’re a good leader or aspire to become one, this field might just be your best fit.
When I say a broad field I mean broad-broad because there are hundreds of different fields affiliated with this one. In addition, there are also a number of fields that still haven’t set up this management part yet, but they may in the early future. That being said, let’s move to the question of what are management sciences? And why is it now considered to be a better career option than commerce?
Question # 1
What are Management Sciences?
The simplest answer could be that it is the art of management and the art of solving problems. Management science can also be defined as management work involving science. A person having a Management Science degree is mastered in the ability to provide an organization to grow its business in the most efficient way possible within the resources available.
These people are taught how to deal with any problems with discipline and how to provide the organization with alternate and effective policies that help them achieve their goals.
Question # 2
Why Management Science is considered a better career option than Commerce?
Commerce is a great field, usually opted by aspiring entrepreneurs, but the job options it provides; still remain within the commerce circle. While in the Management Sciences, the job options are spread evenly in the medical field. E.g. hospital management; where you provide your skills as a patient care manager or a hospital administrator, who manages an entire group of doctors and physicians of a hospital.
The link between Management Science and Commerce
- Although these two fields are pretty much different from each other, in a certain way they’re also considered to be interdependent on each other. Like, commerce is the field related to the buying and selling of products or services for the predetermined cause; that’s revenue (profit). Where Management science deals with the planning and organizing those transactions with high management skills.
- While commerce explains the theoretical characteristics of a business, Management Sciences provides the practical aspects of it.
- Application of Management science in businesses can multiply the companies turnover to a high extent.
Course outline of Management Science
For a career in management science, what you need at least is a bachelor’s degree. The course outline is pretty simple and some of the subjects of management science are those of commerce.
- Communication skills
- Business communication
- Fundamentals of management
- Business mathematics
- Business ethics
- Ethical dimensions of engineering profession
- Principles of marketing
- Technology management
- Planning and control system
- Project management
- Maintenance management
- Industrial safety
Top 3 Reasons why Management Sciences is better than Commerce
After completing the Management Science degree, a person gets mastered in many professional skills that help him/her find various managing jobs. These jobs aren’t necessarily bound to any one field, but to many. Progress in this field is really fast and usually takes 5-8 years to become a manager if you start off as an intern. List of affiliated fields:
- Public administration
- Hospital management
- School management
- Aviation management
- Disaster management
- Research assistant
- Supervisor and team leader
- Data analyst
- Actuarial analyst and much more.
Skills of a Professional Manager
Good management skills are very important for any organization to succeed. The basic skills are:
- Communication skills: Good communication skills are crucial for a manager. This quality will ensure how well a manager can deal with his employees and how they work as a unified force.
- Decision–making: A manager makes almost every decision. The success of the company depends on making the right decision at the right time.
- Taking responsibility: When a manager makes a certain decision, he takes responsibilities for every consequence it may cause.
- Time management: If a manager isn’t punctual or delays important work, which isn’t in any way professional, the employees might think its okay to delay work; which is bad for the business.
- Planning: The advance planning of important tasks and achievable goals can make a big difference in a companies’ turnover. The next step after planning the objectives is to set tasks to achieve them with the resources available.
Importance of Management Science
Every field has its own importance and your best fit in the one you’ve your interest in. The beauty of this field lies in the infinite and vast boundary of the job option it provides. The fact that this field is growing fast, many students are opting for it and the more people are getting to know it, the faster it’s growing.
Ameena is a chemistry student. She is a keen learner and a passionate writer. She loves writing on different niche and sharing her prowess as a writer.