In 2020, Texas saw 1.50 deaths per hundred million miles by vehicles. That was a noticeable increase from 2019, when the number stood at 1.26. It is also increased in 2021. Texas is an at-fault state, which means that the financial responsibility of the damages falls upon you if you are responsible. In case of car accidents, you have to show that you can pay for any damage. Therefore, having auto insurance with a minimum amount of coverage is a necessity.
If you are looking to buy car insurance in Texas, it is advisable to know some details regarding car insurance. It will ensure that you find the best coverage and are protected during emergencies.
What are the insurance requirements in Texas?
The law of Texas requires you to have a minimum coverage of at least 30,000 USD per injured person and a total of 60,000 USD per accident. The primary coverage usually covers the medical bills and property damage costs in case of an accident. For property damage, the amount is 25,000 USD.
Types of Coverage
There are eight different types of car insurance coverages in the state of Texas:
- Liability coverage – it pays for the other driver’s car. It also covers their medical bills and expenses.
- Collision coverage – it covers the cost of repairs or replacement of your vehicle after an accident.
- Underinsured Motorist coverage – it is helpful if you are hit by someone who does not have insurance.
- Towing coverage – If your car is towed and is severely damaged, towing coverage will cover that.
- Medical payments coverage – it would pay your medical bills, even if you were driving someone else’s vehicle.
- PIP coverage – it covers medical bills along with lost wages and related costs.
- Rental reimbursement – it comes into play when you need a rental car after yours has been stolen.
- Comprehensive coverage – takes care of all costs if your vehicle is vandalized or damaged by natural causes like floods or fire.
Things to check before buying an insurance
Take the liability factor into consideration
It is better to go with a type of coverage that is more than the official minimum amount. Cars can be costly, along with the healthcare treatment often necessary after a crash. If the other car driver sues you for all the additional costs incurred by them, you can rely on your coverage to pay the extra money.
Always compare the policies
Comparing the prices and policies will give some idea of your insurer in Texas. You should check the policy period, premium, financial rating, consumer complaint index, available discounts, and coverage limits. You could also ask them to provide you with a policy disclosure, which they are bound to do by the laws of Texas.
Pay attention to the deductibles
In insurance terms, the deductible is the amount of money you have to pay before the insurance company starts paying. It could either be a percentage or a specific dollar amount. If your deductibles are higher, your premiums will be higher too. One way of deciding the right deductible is determining how much you can pay after an accident.
Check if the insurer has a license
Auto insurance companies in Texas must obtain a license from the Texas Department of Insurance. Therefore, ask your company whether they are licensed and whether or not it is updated.
Thus, be informed while buying car insurance in Texas. You never know when you might need one. Having proper and comprehensive coverage will ensure that you are taken care of financially in the best way.
A happy mom, professional article writer, SEO practitioner, blogger, guest blogger & freelancer. She’s in digital marketing since 2018. She loves reading books and spend time with her family. Reach her on Email