Anxiety is the state of turmoil pacing slowly into your nervous behavior, affecting your feelings and emotions when you often encounter continual distressing and unexpected events. As a result, you feel extremely dreadful and trembling while making future decisions. It means anxiety, somehow, refers to the anticipation of future concerns.
Workplace anxiety pretty nearly meets similar characteristics to anxiety. Having anxiety at work is quite normal to some degree but it happens most frequently when you are assigned to any task, when you fail to interact with colleagues, or when you get stuck in a difficult situation you are in and want to escape from it rather than think to cope up with the problem, moreover after work for hours you still in a state of agitation then you are suffering from workplace anxiety.
Symptoms of Workplace Anxiety
- Avoiding family gatherings or hanging out with friends because of the relentless thoughts about work, after you are off from work.
- Constant worrying and sometimes crying on small matters.
- Feeling irritable or snapped.
- Feeling like you are a perfect one or sometimes become nervous while working.
- Having sleep deprivation due to daily struggle at work.
- Creating long-term memory loss. You might feel your brain freeze to the core.
- Having negative anticipation when thinking about the work or getting ready for the work ultimately causes you to lose interest in doing work.
- Affecting your appetites. Chronic work stress leads you towards overeating or at times you completely lose your appetite.
Causes of Workplace Anxiety
It is a general observation that, a person overwhelmed by work stress routinely, is incapable of controlling or fixing the condition they are going through during work hours. This is because they are most likely vulnerable to workload stress so their mental attitude cannot allow them to address, complain, or at times determine the constraints affecting them.
Let’s pay attention to the factors that are responsible for workplace anxiety in any of us.
Demotivated and Abusive Work Environment
It is every so often that, the environment of your workplace is abusive, and you are facing episodes of argument with your co-workers or senior staff. Moreover, you deserve to be appreciated for your hard work yet you don’t receive a reward from your boss or the organization, instead, they repay your dedication with gross ingratitude under these circumstances your work morale will be low.
With low work morale, you are less productive and less innovative and the organization gets less retention rate. Thus demotivated and abusive work environments and organizational culture develop anxiety in the employees, which affects their mental as well as physical health by all means.
Excessive Workload, Tight Deadlines for Projects and Assignments and Unconditional demands
You can be victimized by the organization when you are assigned a project with stringent deadlines. You tend to experience the stress of excessive work which has to be completed before the end of the day. However, you need to spend extra hours at the workplace. At times, you are obliged to fulfill those appalling demands which don’t come under your responsibility.
Co-occurring proclaimed demands cause mental stress and confiscate yourself restrained. You become burned out to the core, and this leads you to think about quitting the job or you want the situation to be out of your sight or out of your mind.
Lack of Supervisory Support from the Supervisor
While you are at the peak of anxiety work patterns and resources don’t support long-term. Meanwhile, you are facing negligence in the clarity about the team leaders are either taking responsibility for the ongoing projects or they don’t have many calibers that they can handle counter consequences of the decision made at the deployment or installation of new systems. As a matter of fact, you burn out inevitably. Thus recalcitrant supervision by the system makes you think about leaving the job. This emotionally driven decision surely damages your career and shows how impulsive you are.
The organization sets great opportunities for the employees for suitable time but these circumstances evoke thoughts of leaving the job and can spectacular loss in your job and career.
- It is usually seen that anxiety affects work performance and your first reaction is to work hard by sitting late or doing overtime. You become a workaholic which worsens the condition. It is recommended not to fix the anxiety by working more and more instead cancel out over time and give time to yourself.
- When you leave the workplace physically then leave all work-related tension and worries as well. Don’t even think about pending work. Some people are so mentally stuck at work that they keep checking e-mails and office WhatsApp after they return home. This anxiousness kills peace of mind. Hence, you must be physically as well as mentally leave the tension of work once you leave the office.
- People with anxiety indulge in temptation thus harmful alternatives like alcohol or drugs which give them short-term relaxation to attain their goals by working day and night. These addictions can cause long-term health risks. You are advised to extend the deadlines you made for future plans, keep focus on actions rather than self-made deadlines and end results, and stay away from drugs and alcohol.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle. Go outside for a walk or do exercise, A healthy and active routine boosts your energy level, improves your mood, reduces stress, makes you strong mentally, and reframes negative thoughts.
- Make family time, which should be associated with your loved ones, spend quality time with them, ask them about their routine share your stories with them, and do enjoyable activities. Take them out on weekends. Visit your friends and companions. Celebrate small achievements and events. Attend social gatherings. Make good memories, which is the most appreciable way to release your stress and get out of anxiety.
She is an enthusiastic Pakistan based article writer and holding master’s degree in physics. She is stay at home mom. She loves to write on different niche